As you get older, are you just a little nervous about making more style and beauty mistakes? I have some ideas to help you become more comfortable with your style choices, and look better day-to-day:
· Go to a mall. Sit with a foo-foo coffee or a smoothie; watch and notice fashion combinations that you like. Bring a notebook, and write them down! Then imitate those in a way that is YOU.
· Ask a friend and/or a family member that has good taste to go shopping with you. Tell them to be completely honest. They don’t have to be mean when they tell you, but they do need to be clear when something isn’t right. They could say something like, “it is not the most flattering look for you”, or “it makes you look outdated”.
· One word – UNDERGARMENTS. Sexy is great, and you should always feel sexy. Comfortable is key as well. However, if something is fitted, you MUST wear the proper undergarments that smooth you out. SPANX, or something similar, are a girl’s best friend. A proper fitting bra, truly, is one of the biggest pieces of advice I can give. I wore the wrong size for 35 years. What a difference when I finally got sized!!
· Look closely in the mirror. Don’t be obsessive, but be honest. If it is something that you can fix with a little extra beauty time, work on it. I love beauty nights. I lock the door, get out all my beauty products, and make it an evening. I put deep conditioner in my hair, and pull it up in a ponytail. I scrub my face and put on a facemask. I do an at-home pedicure. I dry brush my body, then moisturize head-to-toe. The last thing is a manicure. Then, I pour myself a glass of wine, and watch a Lifetime movie. Bliss, seriously. And, my skin, hair and body are so happy for it!
· On a daily basis, do NOT ignore your skin below the chin. Many women do skincare and sunscreen on the face, and then stop. Make SURE you go all the way down the décolletage as well. It does NOT look good to have a wrinkly, freckly neck and chest.
· If your legs are starting to get more and more freckles and varicose veins, use sunless tanning lotion. It does a great job of covering imperfections.
· If you have decided to go for laser treatments or Botox, check out the facility thoroughly. Though these procedures are done often, they are not to be taken lightly. They can do damage.
The last bit of advice I have for you is the most important. Have an air of confidence (not conceit – confidence). It the best beauty tip of all. A woman with confidence radiates. Women and men want to be around them. If you really don’t “own” that confidence yet, fake it til you feel it. It will come. Being over fifty is a great thing. You have so many experiences behind you, and so much ahead of you. Enjoy it!